No Nutrition?

Back to Article
Back to Article

No Nutrition?

Sweet, salty, creamy, and crunchy junk food captivates many worldwide. People choose to enjoy chocolate over broccoli, even though it is not nearly as nutritious.

“There are a lot of fats and sugars in junk food, and kids like fats and sugars, so they eat them,” said Katie Bingham, 7th grade student.

Katie is one of many noticing the unhealthy habits around the halls. It is becoming more common to find the sweet treats replacing the fruits and veggies. “American teenagers receive 16.9 percent of their calories from fast food,” said nytimes.com.

“I see a lot of kids eating a lot of treats and sugar, because they really like them,” said Sheila Horman, 6th grade student. “You could get unhealthy. It’s just not fun.”

Although many kids and adults alike savor the delicious flavors of junk food, the processed ingredients are not nearly as healthy as food that is natural, and eating too much of them might affect kids later on in life.

“Nutritional experiences in early life can have long-lasting consequences,” according to child-encyclopedia.com.

Empty calories from added sugars and solid fats contribute to 40% of total daily calories for 2–18 year olds and half of these empty calories come from six sources: soda, fruit drinks, dairy desserts, grain desserts, pizza, and whole milk,” said fitness.gov.

Paul Harrison, 7th grade student, said, “We could reduce the amount of fat and salt foods in our lunch.”

Bananas, peaches, and carrots, oh my! Fruits provide way more nutrition that sugary treats.

A bowl of oranges and limes proves to provide plenty of potassium and vitamin C.

A student’s lunch will usually consist of some sort of candy, such as chocolate.

Salads provide many different fruits and/or veggies, to fill nutritional needs.

Pretzels are a healthy snack, they have a little bit of salt, and they taste delicious.