Reading Requirements Are Beneficial To Students And Teachers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Colton Grimshaw laying down and reading a book 2/13/17 at Draper Park Middle School.

Steele Smith

Steele Smith

Steele Smith

Steele Smith, News Editor

Many students are being required to read outside of school in order to get class credit. Students may complain about reading, but the benefits far outway the minor inconveniences of required reading. Reading helps students improve in all academic areas along with many other benefits.

According to Science Magazine author David Kidd, extracurricular reading leads to improved vocabulary, communication, comprehension, and writing ability. It also helps to make you a faster reader, and opens you up to new ideas. These are the main reasons that teachers assign reading requirements.

¨Reading is really a workout for your brain that allows you to improve… I want students to, not develop a hate for reading, but to be challenged. When they get to choose their own books they are often more interested,¨ said Samantha Burton, sixth grade English teacher.

According to famous writer, Stephen King, everyone should read for four to six hours per day. Teachers assign after school reading assignments to ensure students are reading everyday. Some students avoid reading, but are encouraged to step out of their comfort zone because of reading requirements according to Readingsoft.com.

“I am a faster reader now than I used to be… I wouldn’t read outside of school [without reading assignments] because I have other things to do,” said Whitney Hurt, a seventh grade student.

The average reading speed in the United States is 200 words per minute however with practice people can read at speeds up to 2,000 words per minute with near perfect accuracy according to Readingsoft.com. Many people are aware that practice leads to improvement; this fact translates into reading as well.

Ty Yeomans, an eighth grader, said “I have gotten faster at reading since I started reading for fun at home.”

According to LifeDev.net, reading opens us up to new ideas and opportunities that would otherwise would go unnoticed.

As Dr. Seuss once wrote, “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”