• March 24Check back weekly for current news!

• October 5Voice of the Vikings.com is the Site for DPMS Journalism

Civil War Reenactment to be Staged May 29th

Henry Purser, Editor

8th grade Civil War Day is coming up and students have been preparing all month.

The 8th graders have been learning about the Civil War this past month and it’s been leading up to a big finale; Civil War Day. It will be filled with learning and games, and a reenactment of the battle of Bull Run.

Colton Grimshaw, 8th grader, said, “Learning about the Civil War has been educational, and it’ll be cool to run Civil War Day.”

Civil War Day will be put on by the 8th graders behind the school on May 29th.

Steele Smith, 8th grader, said, “I think it’s been interesting to learn about the Civil War. Like, I didn’t know that 620,000 Americans died while fighting.”

Students have spent part of April and all of May learning about the battles, causes and people involved in the Civil War.

Ethan Webb, 8th grade student, said, “I want to be a sultur [someone who sells goods], I think it looks fun, and I’m really looking forward to it.”

8th graders will have different jobs during the activity and will be performing as soldiers, officers, sulturs and other jobs that were a part of life back then.

“I think it is a fun and wholesome activity,” said Zack Roberts, 8th grader student, “It’s great way for us to learn about history, and what life was like during that time period.”

Students will research a job from the Civil War, and act as that job throughout the camp. Giving tours, fighting in battles and selling candy are just a few of the responsibilities of the students participating.