Ceramics Overview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ceramics Overview

This is another first period student's monster by Jack Stanley.

Blake and Taylor

Here’s a brief overview of our ceramics class at DPMS.  Ceramics are pots and other articles made from clay and hardened by heat. These items are then placed in a kiln that is warmed up to about 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.

When making ceramics, there are seven steps that the clay goes through. The first is slip, which is watered down clay in a muddy form. Next, is plastic, which is when the clay is workable and able to join pieces. Leather is when the clay is stiff, hard, and will hold its shape. Greenware is when the clay is bone dry and can be carved into. Bisqueware, where the clay has been fired once in the kiln and is able to glaze. Last, but not least, stoneware. It is now glazed and cannot be recycled.

Brayden Eyre, a 7th grade student in 1st period, said, “I’m very excited to work on making mugs.  I’ve learned a lot in the this class including slipping and scoring which are new vocabulary terms we’ve been taught.”  Slipping is when you cut little slits into the clay and rub water over. This allows clay to stick together.

Isaac Neibaur, a 7th grader,  “We will be working on drawing pumpkins for our October project.”  Students enjoy the various projects Mrs. Thompson assigns.

“Pinch pots, coil pots and slab boxes” Mrs. Thompson, says, “are some of the projects we do.”   She really enjoys and is most excited for one project in particular.  “My favorite project that the kids will be doing is the Tiki Project,”  Thompson says.

The ceramics elective at DPMS is very exciting.  Choose it for your next elective!

This is Brayden Eyre’s Pinch Pot project

This is Isaac Neibaur Pumpkin Drawings.