Times School Starts Could Seriously Affect Kids

Kaylee Nguyen

Kids at Draper Park Middle School start school at 7:30 in the morning every day. This start time was assigned by the school district. The reason why we start this early is because of the bus schedule. Starting school this early could help the students towards preparing them to face the real-world when they start school. It’s not beneficial for the students if they have to wake up early to get ready for school, but at the same time, it is very beneficial to wake up because some jobs in the world require you to wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning.

I interviewed an assistant principal, Mr. Seltz, about the school times. The first question asked was, “Why do we start school so early in the morning?” He responded, “The school district assigns it to us based on many criteria.” The second question we asked was, “Do you feel like starting school early is beneficial to the students at the school?” He responded by stating, “It’s a tradeoff, like starting school early is difficult for some students; although starting early allows students the flexibility to go to their after school activities. As well, bus drivers, after dropping the students here at school, they can start picking up the elementary school kids.”

We start school early to let us go do our after school activities for hours, but it could affect us because we also have to do the homework that is given to us each day in school. For us, starting school at 7:30 in the morning helps the bus system to be organized and efficient. It helps to create the perfect time for the bus drivers to go pick up kids after they dropped off the older kids.

The third question we asked was, “If you had the power, would you change the times the school starts?” He responded, “As I said about the first question, no, I would not change it because it is a reasonable time for the students, so they could do their after school activities.” The last question I asked was, “Is there a team trying to change the school plans?” He stated that they had at least discussed the topic of school times. This proves that the school knows the fact that school times are a concern for some. But we cannot change the time we start school, because the time that school start was given to us by the Canyon School District.

In the end, beginning school this early could be beneficial towards some students. But to other students, it is not that helpful because some kids have after school activities.