Why Do We Have Student-led Conferences

Brooklyn H.

Student led conferences are on September 21 ,2021 from 3:30-7:30 and on September 22, 2021 from 3:30-7:00. An appointment is not necessary to come to these, just show up before 7:30. Student-led Conferences are a time that teachers and students’ guardians can converse about students’ behavior in the classroom and grades. These also give the family of the student a chance to meet the teacher.

Student-Led conferences are ‘student led’ so that students will take responsibility for their learning. On the DPMS website it says, “Student-led conferences are designed to facilitate productive conversations between students, their families, and teachers.” To clarify, these conferences were designed to help students, families, and teachers to discuss the students’ learning and behavior. 

The website also discusses the role of each person attending the conference: the teacher, student and guardian. The teacher’s role is to help students prepare for the conference, and reach their goals after the conference. The guardians role is to attend the conference, ask questions, and help their child understand their future assignments. The students’ role is to prepare and set goals for the future, attend, introduce their guardians to the teacher, talk to their guardians about past work, explain the work to the guardians, and continue with goals after the conference.