Tanner Clark and Social Media

Tanner Clark and Social Media

Emma G-S, Student Writer

Most people believe that social messaging is more of a benefit than a consequence, but using social media can actually be harmful. On Thursday, September 9th, Mr. Tanner Clark came to Draper Park Middle School to give a presentation on social media and its dangers. 

We know Tanner teaches teenagers about the unacceptable influence social media has on us, but why does he feel the need to do it? Because he cares about you, and wants you to know you matter! The creators of those apps make money off of teen depression. Don’t give them that satisfaction! Tanner Clark says, during an interview with “Good Things Utah”, “Likes equal love today.” The article also states that each of us needs a different level of love. And IF our friends and family won’t give it to us, we will try and find it in other places and social media is one of those places…but it will never be enough.

Talk with your family about the dangers of social media. We can’t really trust the people on the other side of the smartphone. Keeping you safe starts with connecting with your family personally and individually every single day. Love them as much as they need to be loved. 

Tanner asks, “Are you the driver or the passenger in your own life? Both mindsets take you somewhere, but only one chooses where.” Wake up DPMS students and delete Tik Tok, Snapchat, (or Crap-Schat according to tanner) and even Reddit. I promise, and so does Tanner, that you will feel as though a huge weight was lifted off your shoulders.

Why are you even using an Apple, Samsung, or any other online smart phone? There are plenty of other great options! There’s Gabb Wireless; a safe smart phone with no web or app browsing. Open your eyes!

Now we can all agree that social media has its feats! Like having a family member who lives far away, so we use facebook, instagram, messages, to connect! But if it turns into this: studies show that teens who are on social media three or more hours a day are less happy than those who aren’t, and that even thirty minutes less makes a significant difference. That’s thirty minutes less comparing to others, thirty minutes less judging others, thirty minutes less being exposed to things that they shouldn’t be. That’s thirty minutes more to connect in real life, thirty minutes more time to be present, and thirty minutes more time to create and grow. 

(https://www.abc4.com/gtu/how-social-media-affects-self-worth-in-teens/)

(@realtannerclark) – Instagram