School Musical Has Been Made Public

Addie Morgan

A Poster advertising for students to come and audition for the musical.

Addie Morgan, Web Editor

Addie Morgan

By Addie Morgan

Hakuna Matata, because the school musical, Disney’s The Lion King Jr. has been announced. Now students will have the opportunity to audition starting this fall.

“I was surprised. I expected students to go for things like Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King, but instead, one of the favorites was Guys and Dolls, but we couldn’t do it vocally,” said Jessica Pearce, theater teacher at Draper Park Middle School.

Guys and Dolls was one of the top favorites for the school musical, but in the end, it came down to The Lion King Jr.

“Rafiki, is my favorite character in the musical. She’s got all of the coolest songs and she is a smart and courageous woman,” said Pearce.

Rafiki is one of the roles that Pearce is looking for in the musical, but there are also many other roles that she is looking for.

“I’m nervous to find a Mufasa. I hope that there is a guy in the school that has had a voice change,” said Pearce.

Mufasa is the king of the Pride Lands, Simba’s father, and a brother to the villain of the story, Scar. Mufasa is a role that has some deeper singing parts and Pearce is concerned that she won’t be able to find a student with a deep enough voice like his.

“But I’m most excited to see the Lionesses, because they have some really cool dance numbers and songs,” said Pearce.

Not only will students be invited to participate, some students have already been told that they will be in the school musical.

“Yes, my Dance 3 class might be dancing in it,” said Jessica Adams, 8th Grader.

Dance 3 is expected to be featured in the musical with a dance number choreographed by Candice Wilson, the dance teacher.

Students Olivia Springer, 8th Grade, and Max Pollard, 6th Grade, are planning on coming to see The Lion King Jr. March 6th-11th.