Bad Dreams Could Mean Stressed Out Students

Sophia+Nibley+stressing+over+school+work%2C+unable+to+fall+asleep.+

Isabella Nibley

Sophia Nibley stressing over school work, unable to fall asleep.

Isabella Nibley, Editor

Every night you spend hours connecting to your subconscious and you aren’t even realizing what it’s trying to tell you. Dreams may offer some basic signs that could mean you’re stressed out and may not even know it, and how this affects your daily life.

Jared Colette, U.S. History teacher said, “I tend to have nightmares after playing or watching others play video games.”

An article by Katie Drummond written in 2014 about Jayne Gackenbach, explains how video games cause much more violent dreams which could interfere with a healthy sleeping schedule. “The major parallel between gaming and dreaming is that, in both instances, you’re in an alternate reality, whether a biological construct or a technological one,” Gackenbach said. “It’s interesting to think about how these alternate realities translate to waking consciousness, when you are actually reacting to inputs from the real world.”

Also, Ainsley Parkins, a 7th grade student said that she remembers more bad dreams than good dreams because they stick in her mind. “I also have more bad dreams when I stay up late and the weather is bad,” she said.

Another seventh grader, Kira Lang said “I mostly remember weird and random dreams. I seem to have better dreams when I talk to friends and don’t stay up too late.” 

Dr. Stewart Olsen, a certified psychologist and therapist said that these are all common things found in sleep patterns, people don’t remember most of their dreams but they are all reflections of themselves and life in one form or another.

An article called “14 Common Dreams and Symbols and Why They’re Important” from the Huffington Post written by DreamClouds Staff in 2014 said that stressed out students and unorganized people tend to have a lot more bad dreams that cause a messy sleep schedule.

Chasing is an example of a sign that could mean you need to address something with more attention in your life, the clarity of water in your dreams could relate to how you are dealing with your emotions, and falling could mean you are out of control of something you are frustrated with.

So maybe next time you have that dream about the bear chasing you or the clown in your closet, take a few breaths and get in all those missing assignments before you try to sleep. 

Sophia Nibley struggling to fall asleep with unfinished homework.